Author Topic: Stone Island SS17 "Marina" Will get New Campaign Video  (Read 13 times)

BeverlyOaw

• Hi there! :) My name is Mari, I'm a student studying Creative Writing from Mijdrecht, Netherlands.
    • View Profile
Stone Island SS17 "Marina" Will get New Campaign Video
« on: August 12, 2018, 04:44:40 PM »
The A4 used to begin in the same place as the A3, at the Monument. Ten years in the past walking the primary mile alongside the A4 would have taken me west alongside Cannon Street, spherical St Paul's Cathedral, down Ludgate Hill and up Fleet Road. Writing about this journey could easily have stuffed a running a blog week all by itself. However that is not the primary mile any more. Terrorist paranoia in the town of London has beheaded this explicit mile from the route, forcing the A4 to retreat to the edge of the city past a miserable safety checkpoint cordon. And now the nice West Road begins somewhere somewhat much less glamorous.

Highway begins: Holborn Circus
Six roads meet at Holborn Circus, which is now little greater than a glorified roundabout surrounding a statue of Prince Albert trapped in the middle. The new route chosen for the A4 follows the most insignificant of those roads, that tiny avenue within the centre of the photo squeezed inbetween a department of Lloyds Bank to the left and the glass-fronted Sainsbury's head workplace to the right. This is New Fetter Lane, which leads earlier than very lengthy to the equally quiet and narrow Fetter Lane. At the junction of the 2 stands London's only cross-eyed statue, a memorial to 18th century libertarian John Wilkes. Right here too are magnificent Gothic buildings which once formed the general public Information Office however now home the King's Faculty library. In case you personal a duplicate of Peter Ackroyd's London - the Biography (especially if you have all the time been which means to get round to studying it) you then may enjoy the centuries-previous story of this historic backstreet in Chapter 22.

At the foot of Fetter Lane the A4 turns finally turns proper to join its unique path alongside the western end of Fleet Street. Nonetheless world-famend as London's journalistic coronary heart, the press have long since moved out and the one papers you'll discover in Fleet Avenue these days are sold in a tiny newsagents. This end of the street, nevertheless, has all the time found more favour with monetary and legal practices. Right here you will find Kid's (Britain's oldest financial institution, 1661), Hoare's (London's only remaining impartial financial institution) and a department of Coutts (the Queen's bank), none of which (inexplicably) has a cashpoint exterior. A magic timbered portal on the south side leads by way of to the Temple, where the country's prime authorized minds scurry round a maze of historic passages and courtyards in search of the perfect argument. And reverse the entrance, standing guard in the middle of the highway, stands the dragon that acts as a alternative for Temple Bar (about which I've already written far an excessive amount of). It could not look as impressive as its arched predecessor, however at the very least site visitors can get past it.

After Temple Bar Fleet Road metamorphoses into the Strand, named after the foreshore of the River Thames which as soon as lapped nearer than it does right now. Benjamin Disraeli described the Strand's heady mixture of palaces, accommodations and playhouses as 'maybe the best avenue in Europe', although much of the gloss has been misplaced since then. At the highest end of the road is the espresso home where Thomas Twining established his first teashop, and likewise the Strand's most well-known theatre - the Royal Courts of Justice. Next, alongside Aldwych, the A4 passes three well-known homes - Australia Home (your portal to Down Below), Bush House (BBC global HQ) and the monumental Somerset Home (once home to the final Register of Births, Deaths and Marriages however now more well known for its winter ice rink - closes Sunday).

Strand's most nicely-known stretch leads from Aldwych all the way down to Trafalgar Square alongside a bustling boulevard packed by theatre-goers and vacationers. There's a raised cobbled strip down the centre of the road that most pedestrians use as an elongated site visitors island, however I took this path to finish my journey. This stored me away from the eating places, the pink telephone packing containers and the hotel foyers, and a secure distance from the mobile phone shops, the bewildered foreigners and the Starbucks clones. I averted the demonstrations exterior the Zimbabwean embassy, resisted the charms of Stanley Gibbons the stamp seller and bypassed the Savoy Hotel at the tip of a tiny cul-de-sac (the one highway within the UK where visitors drives on the fitting). However most of all I mourned the passing of the magnificent mansions that after lined this historic street.

Mile ends: Charing Cross
The end of my journey was additionally the final resting place of Queen Eleanor of Castile. She died whereas on royal walkabout in Lincolnshire in 1290, and a grieving Edward I had a cross erected at every of the 12 locations the place his wife's coffin rested on the long journey house to London. Seven centuries later simply three Eleanor Crosses stay but alas the monument at Charing Cross is not quite considered one of them, being merely a stone replica erected in 1863.

Ok, so the first mile of the new A4 does seem like at the very least as fascinating as the original. And the second mile's even higher, continuing from Trafalgar Sq. to move along Pall Mall and Piccadilly (which I've already spent a complete month writing about). Of all of the capital's major trunk roads, it is the A4 that gets off to one of the best start.
Take a look at my web-site stone island parka